CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Monday, June 18, 2007

Responding to the mission of Peacemaking

Written by Fr. Eliseo Mercado, Jr., OMI
Monday, 18 June 2007 09 31 40

(Fr. Eliseo “Jun” Mercado, Jr., OMI, e-mailed this “opening note” to MindaNews early morning today, June 18, on his new role as chair of the government peace panel in the negotiations with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. The MILF, however, says Fr. Mercado’s appointment is a "setback" ).


Peace!
I have barely arrived in the homeland after years of foreign stint. While still “firming” up my foothold and dreaming of my holidays and rest in Hawaii, a challenging mission is given me. The convergence of events and the timeliness of presence and availability can only point to the Divine Providence. All the things happening in the past few days – disconcerting and consoling as well – give witness to the presence and the work of the Spirit of God who is all Mercy and Compassion.
The first thought that came to my mind when called upon to respond to Mission of Peace Making is the phrase from the late Pope John Paul II: “Peace is not an option, it is a duty.” I felt the meaning of this phrase when I was offered the opportunity and the grace of peacemaker thus allaying the initial fears and apprehension that accompany the call.At the beginning of the mandate, let me briefly state the following…
First, I wish to thank President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo for her trust and confidence for giving me the mandate. She assures me not only of her Government’s policy of the “Primacy of the Peace Process” but more so of her unstinting support and commitment to the Peace Process and my leadership as Chief Negotiator of the Government of the Republic of the Philippines in our continuing peace process with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF). I shall brief her and the Cabinet on a regular basis on the progress of the Peace Process. To show her support and commitment, she has given me full power and confidence to write the specifications of the mandate that need to be added to the existing one
Second, I wish to express that though I am religious, I am NOT a Messiah! I cannot promise the fruit, but I can promise you that I will do my outmost to the cause of Peace. For the in the final analysis after all is done and said including our fine statecraft, genuine and sustainable Peace is a gift from God and the work of people of goodwill. Thus I wish that all people of goodwill become stakeholders to peace and pray for lasting Peace.
Third, at the early stage, I give my commitment to make the many and varied tracts of peace making as inclusive as possible. We need you participation and your input. While you may know that I am a man and a religious with strong ideas, opinions and beliefs, but people who have worked with me know also that I am very open not only to listen to other views but also ready to revise or discard my own strong opinions if warranted. Thus, I assure you that the GRP panel under my leadership shall listen to your input and shall welcome your participation. I firmly believe that we need to build PEACE CONSTITUENCY not only in Mindanao but in the entire Philippines to make Peace sustainable.
Fourth, I wish to thank Secretary Silvestre Afable and his team for their great and wonderful work. Rest assured of the continuity of the process as Secretary Jesus Dureza articulated in his Saturday announcement of my appointment, the changing of the guards guarantees a seamless transition. It is not only a continuity of the work but we shall use the work and the commitment of Secretary Afable as our “benchmark” in our continuing peace process.
All people of goodwill can be involved in peace making… actions, words, thoughts and prayers. Let us all be peacemakers! I wish to conclude this short note with two quotations: “Blessed are the peacemakers, they shall be called sons and daughters of God.” (Matthew 5: 9) and in one of the traditions of the path (tariqa), it is said that “Peace is the remembrance of God”.